Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How to: Braid It Like a Headband

I'm never really a hair-down kind of girl.
Even if I think it's pretty sometimes, it always is a nuisance and usually leads to me looking in the mirror way more than is necessary to make sure my hair has "the right amount of messiness" or has "enough volume on the top" to make it look nice.

The braid headband started out as a project modeled after Angela Martin (from The Office) and her stuffy hairdos. I was able to do it on other people, but as it involved a half-french braid trailing around the head starting from the nape of the neck, I wasn't able to replicate it on myself. Darn the fact that I don't have elastic arms!

So, this headband is WAY simple and is kind of a modification of the ever popular Heidi hairstyle that's been going around!


DISCLAIMER: The following pictures are gonna be awkward, camera-in-the-photo, looking at yourself in the mirror kinds of pictures. Be warned.

Step 1
Girl, let your hair hang loose!



Step 2
Gather a small section of hair from the nape of your neck; the amount that you grab will determine how big your braid will be!


Step 3
Braid it!


Step 4
Take the braided section up over your head and secure it with several bobby pins. It's better to keep the pins hidden, but don't fret if they're not; your loose hair will cover them!


Step 5

Repeat steps 2-4 with the other side of your head.


And voila!
Excuse the startled expression, it's my "WOW, who knew something could be so simple?!" face.

16 comments:

linnykins said...

You've got pretty hair!! :D Looks nice down. I haven't braided my hair in ages..

Angela said...

That's a great hairstyle. I wish my hair was thick like yours!

Sara Pierce said...

absolutely adorable.

Karm said...

hahaha that is cute. and I like your hair (:

Shalyn said...

You are crazy not to wear your hair down- it is GORGEOUS!

flourchild said...

You are so cute! Thanks for the awesome tutorial - I'm definitely gonna have to try this one day. Oh & you have GREAT hair!
I'm a new follower and look forward to reading more from you! Have a lovely day.
jess
http://flourchildjessie.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

You are adorable. :)

samnhal said...

That is such a good idea. I'll have to try this out! I'm definitely a hair down kinda girl, it's so much work for me to put it up, and all I have to do is let it air dry to wear it down...so down it is, but this would be a good way to spice it up.

Brittany said...

hello you SHOULD be a hair down kind of girl because you look beautiful! love the braid.

Amy said...

You are way too funny! I love the disclaimer! If I wouldn't have just cut all of my hair off today, then I would be giving this a try! But I opted for a "bob" hah!
So jealous of you and your crafty hair!

Lauren said...

cute hair!
& Did anyone ever tell you you look like Susan from the Chronicles of Narnia? Let me be the first if not.

Jen said...

I've always loved this look! So going to try it on my hair!!

Happy Wednesday Darling! xo

I'm also doing a perfume giveaway right now if you're interested!

Sandy a la Mode said...

so i pretty much have 3 hairstyles. up, half up, down. this is so SUPER CUTE, need to try it sometime!

wishful nals said...

love it! braids are the best. xo

Vanessa said...

Girl you are too adorable! Love it!

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

super duper cute :)