Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I'm a Woman, Phenomenally.

Lovely Kate over at Kismet & Kate proposed a challenge to herself: to "study and memorize some poetry this year", induced by her recent reading of Matched.
Well, Kate- I am ALL for this.
Today, in my lit class, yes, that lit class, we read a poem by Maya Angelou.
And guys? I'm in love with it. Head over heels.
It's called Phenomenal Woman, and I have never read a poem that is so strong, so bold, so proud to be a woman.

I'm a woman, phenomenally.

A snippet:

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.

I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing

It ought to make you proud.

I say,

It's in the click of my heels,

The bend of my hair,

the palm of my hand,

The need of my care,

'Cause I'm a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That's me.


{via}

2 comments:

Karm said...

I love that poem, as well as Maya Angelou. She is an amazing person and writer.

Kate said...

I love that poem! I had forgotten about it. I am glad you posted! <3